The secret here is that you can replace the Butter in Butter Chicken with just about any high-fat dairy product. Ricotta, sour cream, greek yogurt will all work. They change the flavor of the dish, but they’re all good variations.
This is adapted from a recipe in Tom Lacalamita’s Pressure Cookers for Dummies
- 1.5 lbs chicken, cubed
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 small chili, minced
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp minced cilantro or parsley
- 1⁄2 - 2⁄3 cup high-fat dairy. Butter chicken is 1⁄2 cup cream, 3 tbsp butter. Limes for serving.
- Salt and pepper the chicken.
- Cook onion, ginger, chili and garam over high heat in oil, until browned.
- Add the chicken and brown in spices. Add the broth and tomato paste, stir to deglaze the pan.
- Bring the pressure cooker to high heat and cook for 8 minutes. Release pressure with a quick-release method.
- Over low hit, stir in the dairy. Serve over white rice, and squeeze fresh lime juice just before serving.